[Noisebridge-discuss] Free Culture Conference in Berkeley this weekend (plug)

Asheesh Laroia noisebridge at asheesh.org
Tue Oct 7 17:44:58 UTC 2008

(Note: I am helping to organize this, as I've been involved in Students
for Free Culture before it had a name.)

Students for Free Culture has organized a grassroots conference for, and
about free culture, technology, copyright, remixing, and free software.
Because most students have a fall break, we've booked it for Columbus Day
weekend (October 11th and 12th) at Berkeley, University of California.

We'll have keynotes by Lawrence Lessig, Pam Samuelson, and John Lilly of
Mozilla.  There'll be more great panels - check out the conference website
at http://conference.freeculture.org/ and in particular the schedule:
http://conference.freeculture.org/schedule/

REGISTER AT: http://conference.freeculture.org/register/
WHEN:        SAT OCT 11 at 10 AM
WHERE:       Chevron Auditorium, International House / 2299 Piedmont Ave,
              Berkeley, CA (near-ish Downtown Berkeley BART)

Day 1 will be public panels and presentations in conjunction with the
keynotes, and Day 2 will be for the Students in this movement as we hold
workshops, team building, and learn about effective activism.  I hereby
invite all of you Noisebridgees to Day 1!  Indeed, I hope the students on
this list come out for day two also.

We're doing a pay-what-you-feel system reminiscent of the one made famous
by Radiohead and Girl Talk, but with one extra twist: ours also shows
publicly what the average amount paid is, and right now it is around $24.

The conference, like the student movement, has many facets.  I think that
having topics like Politics and Transparency, a Remix Culture panel
without Larry Lessig, letting him keynote separately), and Access to
Knowledge & Medicine showcases that diversity and our focus on the public
interest.

Students for Free Culture has always been student-focused since that's
where we began, and where we know best how to organize people.  But of
course we love to interact with the broader remix/hacking/freedom
communities.

Come!

-- Asheesh.

--
What you don't know can hurt you, only you won't know it.