[Noisebridge-discuss] OMGWTFBBQ wifi networks and SSID names

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sun Oct 12 08:02:44 UTC 2008

Hi there.

I just noticed that there's 8 wifi networks in the space now that
begin with the name Noisebridge. I also notice that JSharp has a
section of the Network page on the wiki which describes what these new/
different SSIDs entail and also purposes that we switch from the old
Noisebridge SSID to this new setup. It doesn't state that these new
SSIDs are in operation or that the old Noisebridge SSID is now
encrypted (no password given).

As a general guide line I purpose that if there's any changes to the
network topology that deviates from what's the current norm and
affects most/many users of the network, an email be sent out to the
list and the wiki kept up to date on such things. I ask this because
of two things...

* I want to know what network contains the "internet".
* I don't want to step on someone else's project which is still being
worked on.

Here's a nifty way of thinking about it, we have (will have) project
buckets for folks to work on things that they don't want others to
mess with in their absence, or use (such as personal tools or
incomplete projects for the space (magical passport reader for the
front door)). Things such as this which need to be part of the network
topology can't be stuffed into bucket for safe keeping.

Hope that makes a little sense. Thanks for reading.

--
Rubin Abdi
Rubin at Starset.net