[Noisebridge-discuss] Sol Mate' is here!

grey artkiver at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 18:53:19 UTC 2008

So it's not Club Mate'; but it's a reasonable all organic facsimile
from Canada that comes in two flavours: original, very similar in
taste to Club Mate' and Lime (I hear folks like mixing Club Mate' with
Lime and Vodka, perhaps this will simplify the process).

At any rate the cost for two cases was $63.36 (nice palindrome) plus
they gave me a 10% discount for buying two cases so the total cost for
two cases was about $57 divided by 48 = about a $1.18 (or if we're
keeping all our significant digits and rounding up $1.19) a bottle.
So I figure a two dollar suggested donation is probably a fair fee to
get some $ raised for the space.  Feel free to toss in more money
though!  Albeit one reason that this drink is appealing other than
being carbonated mate' and organic is that it is significantly cheaper
for us to obtain than Club Mate' (not that we shouldn't be importing
that as well, but think of that as premium top shelf mate' and sol
mate' is our cost effective imported mate' ;).

So far people have been sticking cash and coins in the freezer portion
of the fridge, so for the time being I think that'll work though
there's been some discussions that it would be neat to get an old
fashion cash register with a crank for the drawer release if we can
find one. C-base certainly has at least one register for bar
transactions from what I recall.

I've put about an even amount of original & lime in the fridge to
start cooling down, so if you take a bottle out please put a fresh one
in!  Currently the cases are situated on the counter directly above
the fridge, though I'm thinking that may not be the ideal storage
place long term.

For future reference I ordered these through the Food Bin in Santa
Cruz as I haven't found a source for them in SF yet.  That said,
according to their website ( http://www.drinksolmate.com/ ) Whole
Foods is their US distributor, so presumably if someone wanted to go
to a local whole foods and look into future special orders that
require less driving that would be spectacular.  Alternatively
Noisebridge isn't too far from Rainbow Grocery or the Valencia Whole
Foods (unassociated with the Whole Foods chain) both of which are nice
alternative organic friendly natural grocery stores in SF who might be
convinced to do orders for us.

Also for future orders it seems like the lead time on getting these
from time of order was about a week and a half, so I'm not sure what
our consumption rate will be but it's probably a good idea to factor
in how long we estimate it will take to get more when we're running
low & place an order far enough in advance that we're never dry.

That's all for now!

-grey