[Noisebridge-discuss] twitter / flash

Steen Comer mediapathic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 11:42:03 UTC 2008

As I mentioned at the meeting, I've been doing a bit of messing about
with twitter, and want to use my newfound powers for noisebridge. I've
created a Twitter page on the wiki (https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Twitter
  ), please add your name there if you would like your twitter to be
followed by the noisebridge account. I think this will give us an
excellent centralized way of aggregating relevant twitter accounts.

For example, the thing I've been working on recently is a flash
thingum that shows all of the outbound and inbound (but not private
messages) of an account (an ugly beta of it can be found at http://www.notapattern.net/~puck/outgoing/content/portfo-flashtwit.html
  ). My plan is to make this into a more sidebar-ish formfactor
(already done, but not up anywhere), set it for noisebridge rather
than me, and put it on the front page of the wiki.

Which raises two other questions. First, I know we have a bunch of
"back in my day we didn't need flash, we did our animated content in
ascii uphill both ways and we liked it" sort of folks in the group, so
are there any objections to having flash on the wiki? I presume that
anyone who really doesn't like it will have it turned off in their
browser anyway, and of course I would be very careful to make this so
it doesn't break the page if viewed without flash. The second and
related is: a small amount of research suggests that we would need to
install a mediawiki extension in order to have flash work there, are
there any objections to that on general principle, unrelated to this
specific project (i.e. you consider it a security risk, it will mean
we sold our souls to adobe, it will attract 4channers, etc)?

--esc