[Noisebridge-discuss] Art fundraiser suggestion

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Oct 1 08:59:40 UTC 2008

Shannon Clark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I mentioned this in one part of an earlier email and again briefly at
> tonight's meeting here is a bit more detail about what I would suggest -
> please add suggestions and I'll try to also put up a page on the wiki to
> further organize details.
>
> The basic idea is to on a regular basis, starting fairly soon, have an art
> show & fundraiser at the Noisebridge space.

Hi Shannon,

With all possible respect - No thanks.

> The goal is to raise money - and do so via creating and selling cool,
> beautiful stuff. And if we are wildly successful it just gives us resources
> to do more cool stuff. Personally I think that the first goal should be to
> have at least 3-4 month's costs set aside and to be starting to think about
> what tools (and also what ongoing supplies) might help people create and do
> particularly interesting things (and would best fit into the constraints of
> the space).

We're not an art gallery that's open to the public. Especially not the
public that is going to wander in off of Wiese Street. We've
specifically talked about being non commercial for our entire existence.
The space is for hacking/creating/making/dreaming/etc but explicitly,
it's not for selling things. Even if the money goes to a good cause.

In theory, it's a nice idea but it might be a good idea to read the
archives of the mailing list, the wiki and so on to get a good feel for
our group.

We've been discussing financial things in depth for the last few months
and we're shooting to have 6 months in the bank. In less than a weekend,
we're up to $11,000USD. It appears that we need to raise about $20,000 more.

It's important to remember _why_ we're raising money. It's not to create
an art gallery for raising money. It's to have a space for making art,
hacking on stuff, relaxing, etc -

Best,
Jake