[Noisebridge-discuss] key access for non-signers

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Thu Oct 2 07:19:22 UTC 2008

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> Rachel McConnell wrote:
>> I don't have a suggestion about this one.  I admit I'm hoping that we'll
>> get incorporated TOMORROW and the problem goes away.  It also appears
>> that progress is being made on the electronic card access project.
>
> Even if we're incorporated tomorrow, we still need to change the lease.
> And even if we change the lease, we need to get insurance. As I
> understand the concern, Noah and you are worried about being held
> personally responsible.
>
> How will incorporation tomorrow change this concern? Or is this not a
> concern for you?

As a board member of a registered corporation, my risk is acceptable; I
would not have accepted board membership otherwise.  As an individual
lease signer it is not.  I should have thought this through better last
night but I didn't.  I got caught up in the excitement just like
everyone else.

Regarding the lease, what is signed actually says Noisebridge, with our
positions.  It's exactly what we would have signed if we had been
incorporated at the time.  I have no idea what the legality of this is
if we somehow don't change it and Noisebridge comes into being after the
lease date.  Mitch, would you ask Carol that?  We should re-sign and
re-date, of course, just to be sure.

Regarding insurance, we're moving forward on that at an excellent rate.
  I'm quite satisfied there.  We get the corporation paperwork, I'm happy.

>> Can people wait for keys a couple more days?  Is this just Jake and me
>> butting heads on behalf of nobody?  What do you all think?
>>

> Yes, I think people can wait. I however think we're pissing people off
> and it's a poor idea. We're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist
> and this is a bad idea. A number of people are unhappy with the course
> of action taken thus far, many people felt we reached a consensus and
> are confused.
>
> I hope others will reply.

Will the unhappy, pissed off people Jake refers to mention it
themselves?  Or, if you're not actually quite so unhappy and pissed off
after all, and you feel you can give me (and Noah) a few days grace on
the key thing, that's great and I appreciate it.  I had hoped that by
asking nicely, people might feel they could live with the inconvenience
for a few days.  I still hope that.

What do you all think?

Rachel