[Noisebridge-discuss] key access for non-signers

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Oct 2 08:25:30 UTC 2008

Rachel McConnell wrote:
> Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>> Rachel McConnell wrote:
>>> I don't have a suggestion about this one.  I admit I'm hoping that we'll
>>> get incorporated TOMORROW and the problem goes away.  It also appears
>>> that progress is being made on the electronic card access project.
>>
>> Even if we're incorporated tomorrow, we still need to change the lease.
>> And even if we change the lease, we need to get insurance. As I
>> understand the concern, Noah and you are worried about being held
>> personally responsible.
>>
>> How will incorporation tomorrow change this concern? Or is this not a
>> concern for you?
>
> As a board member of a registered corporation, my risk is acceptable; I
> would not have accepted board membership otherwise.  As an individual
> lease signer it is not.  I should have thought this through better last
> night but I didn't.  I got caught up in the excitement just like
> everyone else.

Ok. As long as we (all) understand that there is risk and we're willing
to accept that risk, I think we're on the same page. I personally signed
the lease before we incorporated because I was willing to take on the
individual liability. While I find it strange to have this discussion
now, it's surely best to talk it out and to make sure we're on the same
page. We don't want to get overly carried away with excitement. It seems
like a lot of things were assumed and this is perhaps taking shape in a
very unhappy way.

> Regarding the lease, what is signed actually says Noisebridge, with our
> positions.  It's exactly what we would have signed if we had been
> incorporated at the time.  I have no idea what the legality of this is
> if we somehow don't change it and Noisebridge comes into being after the
> lease date.  Mitch, would you ask Carol that?  We should re-sign and
> re-date, of course, just to be sure.

We discussed this before we signed and as I understood it, we'd resign
the lease in a more official capacity. I assumed that was because we
can't actually sign these things as Noisebridge legally.

> Regarding insurance, we're moving forward on that at an excellent rate.
>  I'm quite satisfied there.  We get the corporation paperwork, I'm happy.

I am also. David is doing a totally great job on that front. I'm under
the impression that Carol is totally taking care of the corporation
paperwork and we're on our way to everyone being happy on that front.

>>> Can people wait for keys a couple more days?  Is this just Jake and me
>>> butting heads on behalf of nobody?  What do you all think?
>>>

>> Yes, I think people can wait. I however think we're pissing people off
>> and it's a poor idea. We're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist
>> and this is a bad idea. A number of people are unhappy with the course
>> of action taken thus far, many people felt we reached a consensus and
>> are confused.
>>
>> I hope others will reply.
>
> Will the unhappy, pissed off people Jake refers to mention it
> themselves?  Or, if you're not actually quite so unhappy and pissed off
> after all, and you feel you can give me (and Noah) a few days grace on
> the key thing, that's great and I appreciate it.  I had hoped that by
> asking nicely, people might feel they could live with the inconvenience
> for a few days.  I still hope that.
>
> What do you all think?

I hope that people will reply to the thread if they feel the need to do so.

I also hope that we can respect that not everyone is even paying
attention to the mailing list. In addition, not everyone is going to be
comfortable with speaking up on the list. I've had a number of personal
conversations with people and the general feeling regarding the key
issue hasn't been a happy or positive one. Everyone is pretty unhappy as
far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure we can sort this out at a board
meeting and then we can present something to the membership.

Best,
Jake