[Noisebridge-discuss] consensus process

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Thu Oct 2 16:38:18 UTC 2008

The way a lot of organizations run this is to have several different kinds
of meetings, to whit:

* the general weekly/montly meetings, at which the business of the group is
done -- that is, the meeting at which we do whatever it was we formed the
group to do; in our case, this probably means hacking and discussion
thereof.

* the board meeting, at which the board hashes through the details of
actually running the organization, one aspect of which is deciding which
decisions they can make and which are passed on to general / voting
meetings.  this meeting is usually held slightly less often than the general
meeting.

* the member's voting meeting, where questions the group needs to decide on
get hashed out by the whole group.  mostly this means proposals the board
has decided to refer to the members.  this meeting is generally held
quarterly or annually.

Now, I'm not saying that this is the format we *have* to stick to, just that
this is the one I've seen work over and over again.  Consensus driven
organizations can work within the above framework just as well as
heirarchically-oriented organizations can.  One way to make this work in a
more consensus-driven way is to have a much larger board, and to have it be
fairly porous, such that we still have a lot of member input while not
requiring those not interested to sit through the boring stuff.

I'll be leaving my copy of Robert's at the space for anyone who wants to
peruse it.

--S