[Noisebridge-discuss] key access for non-signers

Mark Cohen markc at binaryfaith.com
Thu Oct 2 17:34:23 UTC 2008

First off, I apologize for not being able to make the meeting, it is
my hope to not miss any more. (Especially now that the meeting place
is extremely easy to get to for me now)

Having read through the emails, some of which sadden me, here is my
opinion...

1. People who volunteer to pay a monthly/quarterly amount of money
should get keys.
2. I hope that Noah doesn't leave the board or feel like he's getting
pushed out.
3. There is risk in everything we do, on a nanosecond basis. Risk
Management is what is most important. We all take risks with this
project and I hope that those risks will end up being for the better.
4. I think there should be a select few people with physical keys.
These people should have no more power than anyone else. This is so
that we have a backup mechanism for entry should the keycard system
fail. (I'm a Sysadmin, all systems fail)

I have a hard time believing that there will be any catastrophe within
the next few days/weeks that would require insurance or incorporation
(meaning, I don't think we need to rush to any decisions based on the
lack thereof) I think that the process, so far is working well. So
far, this venture excites me and makes me proud to be in the hacker
community in the bay area. I hope to set a high bar for other hacker
spaces to meet or beat.

That being said, I agree with Rachel that new items brought to the
meeting should not be voted upon immediately. Agenda items should
probably be posted to the wiki and then set a date for discussion and
another for vote. I feel fairly strongly that this process empowers
the group to make the best decision at the moment. This also allows
those who cannot make a meeting to see what has been discussed,
contact those who brought the topic up and eventually vote on the
outcome.

In closing, we have a wonderful opportunity to really build something
spectacular. Let us not get too bogged down in politics, the rest of
the country is taking care of that for us.

Best Regards,

Mark Cohen