[Noisebridge-discuss] key access for non-signers

grey artkiver at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 20:09:05 UTC 2008

I really despise mailing lists for precisely this kind of arguing
(how's that atom/rss feed coming? ;)

At any rate,  Rachel asked for people who had issues with the key
distribution to speak up, so here I am.

I actually have a very big issue with the key situation, not so much
because z0mg I need a key NAO, but because of what is occurring now is
in direct conflict with the process that was followed on Tuesday
evening.

"Everyone at Noisebridge does not need to agree on everything." - Mitch

I agree with that completely. That said, there was _consensus_ on
Tuesday that keys would be distributed for access to noisebridge as an
interim step until a key card system with revocation was established.
To reneg on the consensus process after the fact simply citing that
"I'm a board member" or "I'm a lease signer" I'm sorry, but that's
bullshit and everyone here and you knows it.

Being in either of those positions was up for grabs with the intent
that you have the responsibility for following the mandate of the
members, it should not be seen as a position of hierarchy or power,
but one of responsibility akin to sitting near the emergency escape on
the airplane - I don't want to be trapped because the douchbag who
wanted more legroom decides he's too worried about too much risk from
opening the door.

It's my understanding from friends involved with New Hack City that
much of its implosion was due to quarrels among lease holders rather
than the people who frequented the space, and I want to make sure that
we are not recreating the same mistakes of past hacker spaces,
particularly ones from our own fucking city that created a vacuum for
years because we have people involved who have no sense of history to
know how to not repeat them.  Don't get me wrong, we'll be making a
ton of mistakes and learning from them no doubt, but let's make them
our -own- not ones we should know better to avoid.

Seriously, is making key copies temporarily such a big deal that
merits breaking the consensus process?  It really shouldn't be, if
anything I expect it will light a fire under the asses of those
involved in the key card project since they'll actually be able to get
into the space and try out things to see what works well rather than
worry about the timing of a keyholder and whether or not they'll ever
hit critical mass due to a diminished incentive of even showing up.

It would be one thing if we had this discussion Tuesday night and
there was no consensus reached; I would understand keys not being
provided.  But that two "board member" "lease signers" are voicing
objections after the fact makes me really question what the hell
you're doing in those positions if you can't speak up during a
meeting!

Expressing dissent after the fact, behind a keyboard online, is a
trait I don't want to see from any of our members, let alone people
who apparently view themselves in a spot of power to lord over rather
than peers in this community.

And it goes both ways: I'm not loaning a wireless access point to
provide a mesh point to noisebridge because after discussions on
Tuesday and consensus that things provided to noisebridge need to _be_
noisebridges w/o being able to take it back, because I can't speak to
what will happen down the road with that property, it's delayed
network access to the space, but I'm OK with that because the access
that is being installed (starting today) is the spaces and in line
with the ideals of the collective membership.  The collective
membership that showed up on Tuesday agreed that keys would be
dispersed as a temporary measure until a better system was created,
and here you two are demonstrating utter disrespect for that process
as well as the other members who are committed to it.

Sorry if I sound punchy, but I would rather not mince words and get
these issues sorted out now than have this type of behaviour plague
this group repeatedly.  If you can't abide by the consensus process,
then you need to seriously question your commitment to the position
you're in as well as your participation because you are doing a grave
disservice to everyone else and causing bad blood.  Every issue and
argument is generally over trivial things, but the emotions that stem
from this kind of discourse leave lasting impression.

We need to stop talking about tomorrow whether it's incorporation or a
key card system or whatever, we need to be in the moment, look at the
reality of the situation and start taking advantage of the fact that
we have a space -now- to not lose this momentum; we've built a
foundation on a consensus system, there were plenty of ideas shot down
or delayed Tuesday night, distributing keys was not one of them - if
you are going to attempt to erode the foundations that got us to this
point, then I am going to shore them up and keep you to your word to
make sure we stay on track and true to our word.

-grey