[Noisebridge-discuss] space status

Meredith L. Patterson mlp at thesmartpolitenerd.com
Fri Oct 3 09:40:03 UTC 2008

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> That seems reasonable to me. It's probably going to be the best place
> right now for chemical related stuff that requires a hood. It may be
> awkward when two people want to make dinner and one person is mixing
> stuff in the hood. :-)

Although I have cooked dinner on the same stove that I was babysitting a
reaction on, I don't recommend it, at least not for more than one
person. ;) Ideally we should acquire a hotplate with a magnetic stirrer,
perhaps just a hotplate to start with (for reactions that need stirring
but not heat, magnetic stirrer == brushless case fan + hard drive magnet
+ potentiometer), and do reactions that require heating in the hood. We
can build an outlet bar into the back or side of the hood to plug in
equipment, and run an extension cord to wherever the nearest outlet is.

While I'm thinking about how to build this, does anyone have any
recommendations for a place that sells countertop material and might be
willing to let us scavenge some scraps? The benchtop needs to be
nonflammable and something that we can securely mount an angled airfoil
onto.

--mlp