Chemical safety (was: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] darkroom at the noisebridge space)

Mark Cohen markc at binaryfaith.com
Mon Oct 6 07:00:18 UTC 2008

Hi Jim,

Indeed you can reclaim the silver. I've worked in many labs that had a
machine to do it. We used Electrolytic devices, but there are a few
ways to do it.

Kodak has a page of vendors that sell the equipment :

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=4234&pq-locale=en_US

Once the flake is recovered, it needs to be refined.

-Mark

On Oct 3, 2008, at 6:00 PM, jim wrote:

>   is there a way to reclaim the silver?
> i'm interested in silver plating.
>

> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 14:13 -0700, Mark Cohen wrote:
>> Comments in line :

>>> This reminds me of safety questions that I had about both the
>>> darkroom
>>> and chemistry lab.  I guess that the same safety questions apply to
>>> each
>>> since each will be using some chemicals that may have safety
>>> concerns.
>>> So I think I'll take this opportunity to write up all the safety
>>> questions that I've thought about so far:
>>>
>>> (1) segregation of chemicals and food
>>>
>>> We have some food preparation space and a stove that people are
>>> apparently planning to use on occasion for preparing and eating in
>>> the
>>> space.  What do we need to do to minimize the risk that the food
>>> preparation space becomes contaminated with materials used for
>>> chemistry
>>> or photographic work?  (One particular issue is about the sink,
>>> which
>>> I'll break out into another point:)
>>>

>> Though black and white chemistry is not especially toxic, (Developer
>> is not classified as toxic but often is an allergic compound for
>> some,
>> causing skin irritation, stop bath (usually Glacial Acetic Acid), and
>> fixer (Sodium, Potassium or Ammonium Thiosulfate is fine when fresh,
>> but contains high amounts of silver when used and soluble silver will
>> make you look like a smurf) The biggest concerns would be with
>> toners.
>> Selenium toner is extremely dangerous and needs to be handled with
>> great care. As with all things, general common sense and keeping food
>> away is smart.
>>
>> Here is the Kodak MSDS site. http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=4648&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=1925
>>
>> Obviously, this is for basic B&W.
>>
>> Color chemistry is significantly more harmful and alternative
>> processes even more. (For example Daguerrotypes were developed in
>> Mercury Oxide vapor, the vapor is even worse for you than drinking
>> the
>> stuff.)
>>

>>> (2) safe storage and disposal of chemicals
>>>
>>> What do we need to do to ensure that we store and dispose of
>>> chemicals
>>> safely?  If the kitchen sink is going to be used for food
>>> preparation
>>> and washing dishes, it should probably not be used for chemical
>>> disposal
>>> even for some chemicals that could otherwise legally be disposed of
>>> this
>>> way.  Should we install a separate sink or other facilities for