[Noisebridge-discuss] Re: Chemical safety

Meredith L. Patterson mlp at thesmartpolitenerd.com
Mon Oct 6 07:10:37 UTC 2008

Mark Cohen wrote:
> Rayko likely,  as most labs will take your fixer, they reclaim the silver.

Someone had asked earlier about whether we could reclaim silver
ourselves. We can do this pretty easily via electrolysis, which is sort
of like a wet-cell battery only backward. If I were doing it, I'd build
a large bath (a tupperware bin would probably work, though I think you'd
want to orient the electrodes the long way), cut slits to hold two large
flat electrodes in place, then apply dc current and wait for the
dissolved silver to plate onto the cathode.

I'll be happy to test this out on a small scale if someone has some used
fixer they'd like to give me.

--mlp