Chemical safety (was: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] darkroom at the noisebridge space)

Mark Cohen markc at binaryfaith.com
Mon Oct 6 06:53:17 UTC 2008

Replies in line.

On Oct 3, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Audrey Penven wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Mark Cohen <markc at binaryfaith.com>
> wrote:
>> Comments in line :

>>> This reminds me of safety questions that I had about both the
>>> darkroom
>>> and chemistry lab.  I guess that the same safety questions apply
>>> to each
>>> since each will be using some chemicals that may have safety
>>> concerns.
>>> So I think I'll take this opportunity to write up all the safety
>>> questions that I've thought about so far:
>>>
>>> (1) segregation of chemicals and food
>>>
>>> We have some food preparation space and a stove that people are
>>> apparently planning to use on occasion for preparing and eating in
>>> the
>>> space.  What do we need to do to minimize the risk that the food
>>> preparation space becomes contaminated with materials used for
>>> chemistry
>>> or photographic work?  (One particular issue is about the sink,
>>> which
>>> I'll break out into another point:)
>>>

>> Though black and white chemistry is not especially toxic,
>> (Developer is not
>> classified as toxic but often is an allergic compound for some,
>> causing skin
>> irritation, stop bath (usually Glacial Acetic Acid), and fixer
>> (Sodium,
>> Potassium or Ammonium Thiosulfate is fine when fresh, but contains
>> high
>> amounts of silver when used and soluble silver will make you look
>> like a
>> smurf) The biggest concerns would be with toners. Selenium toner is
>> extremely dangerous and needs to be handled with great care. As
>> with all
>> things, general common sense and keeping food away is smart.
>>
>> Here is the Kodak MSDS site.
>> http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=4648&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=1925
>>
>> Obviously, this is for basic B&W.
>>
>> Color chemistry is significantly more harmful and alternative
>> processes even
>> more. (For example Daguerrotypes were developed in Mercury Oxide
>> vapor, the
>> vapor is even worse for you than drinking the stuff.)
>>

> I've never used toners, so I'm not familiar with the safety
> requirements for them.  If you've used them before, and plan on
> bringing them to the space, it would be great if you could help the
> rest of us do it safely.  :)
> Rayko Photo Center (3rd + Harrison) disposes of Selenium with a fee
> per ounce.  If we use it, we'll need to store it properly and then
> bring it over there to get rid of it.
>
> Regarding skin irritation: I've never had a problem with that and
> therefore hadn't thought of it.  It would be a good idea to have
> gloves (reusable or a box of disposable latex) to use in the darkroom.

I've done a lot with toners (especially Selenium). I do my selenium
toning outside because of the fresh air. The toner smells like ammonia
when it is used (chemically reacting with the silver in the print), it
isn't a strong smell, but I prefer to be safe. A lot of people use
respirators when they tone. The major problem with this particular
toner is skin contact. You want to use gloves and tongs while toning
with this.

The other toners I've used have been blue and sepia. Both are non
toxic and can be done anywhere.

Generally, selenium toner is diluted (1:5, 1:10, 1:20) with water, so
it isn't really highly concentrated unless you are split toning. This
makes storage and disposal easy. You can pour your used toner into a
storage container and let it sit until you dispose it. I think taking
it down to Rayko is awesome.

Regarding skin irritation, it is one of those things that doesn't
affect very many people. Those with dermatitis should be especially
careful. I've often used my hands instead of tongs to agitate prints
in developer and have never had a reaction.. That doesn't mean that
someone else can do that with the same luck. That is why I bring up
the safety thing. :)

>>> (2) safe storage and disposal of chemicals
>>>
>>> What do we need to do to ensure that we store and dispose of
>>> chemicals
>>> safely?  If the kitchen sink is going to be used for food
>>> preparation
>>> and washing dishes, it should probably not be used for chemical
>>> disposal
>>> even for some chemicals that could otherwise legally be disposed
>>> of this
>>> way.  Should we install a separate sink or other facilities for
>>> chemical
>>> disposal or washing glassware and photo trays?
>>>

>> The only chemical you are required to handle properly in disposal
>> is fixer.
>> Both Developer and Stop can be dumped down drains. Large amounts of
>> Fixer
>> can't and the city regularly tests the disposed water for high
>> amounts of
>> fixer/silver salts.
>>
>> You can safely pour dev/stop down into a toilet.
>>
>> Some photolabs allow people to dispose of used fixer on their
>> premises for a
>> fee. Similar to waste motor oil.. Or you can pay safety clean (sp?)
>> dispose of it for you.
>
> I'm pretty sure that Rayko will also take used fixer.  I'll ask next
> time I go over there (probably later today).

Rayko likely,  as most labs will take your fixer, they reclaim the
silver.