[Noisebridge-discuss] space status, monday

Matt Peterson matt at peterson.org
Tue Oct 7 08:40:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 01:16:16AM -0700, Andy Isaacson wrote:

> Other misc donations include
> * half rack (10U or so)
> * big rackmount UPS

That was me, an APC SmartUPS 3000 I think.  Ideally someone should
verify that the batteries are still good, last used @ BMan 5yrs ago.
This model has a serial port that can signal to the PC that power has
switched, etc.  A NEMA-15 "normal household" plug was hacked on it, even
though I think the cord/unit is geared for 20A or 30A input.

> Jof is building a Xen-based VLAN router to work with the fancy-pants
> WiFi router that Luiz donated.

I also dropped off a 3500 or 2900 series FastE Cisco switch, this has
fresh IOS on it with no config or password.  This can break off VLANs
pretty easy.

Is it possible we could just use a Soekris w/ stock OpenBSD and pf to
set this up vs. Xen and friends?  I offered to set this up and can do so
this weekend, but not during the weekdays.

> Seth is building a BART warning to announce the last train of the night
> so that commuters don't get stranded.

'Alpha' tends to be the well documented LED signs available on eBay.
Slick models with built-in ethernet for the lazy hackers in the crowd.

> Covad (who Speakeasy delivers through) so we should have DSL on Tuesday.

This brings up the question, how should load be shared between the two
connections?  Typically with a cable & DSL mix, I've done something like
port 80 outbound (ie: heavy downloads likely) on cable, responsive stuff
(ie: SSH) on DSL, etc.

Awesome progress, this is exciting!

--Matt