[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge ready to welcome new members?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sat Oct 11 23:34:14 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:21:56AM -0700, Andreas von Hessling wrote:
> I'm potentially interested in joining Noisebridge as a member, but the
> Web site gives the impression that there is no "official" way to sign
> up.  Also, it seems there is still some effort underway to get the
> space set up.

Hi Andy,

Noisebridge is currently getting off the ground.  We're currently ideal
for people who want to get involved at the very beginning and help build
a hacker space.  We just as of Thursday have our official incorporation
paperwork done, and the next step is for us to formalize our membership
processes.

If you're interested in helping make this happen, please come on by!
We're very informal right now, and everybody who's involved got started
somewhere.  You can participate just by showing up and getting involved.
I recommend checking on IRC or calling the space (phone number on the
wiki) to see if people are present.  Or, come by our open meeting on
Tuesday at 8 PM.

> However, it would be very helpful for prospective
> members to know when/how the space is fully set up.  When's the
> official launch?

The space is never going to be "done" -- it will always be evolving --
and at this point we're not looking for enormous numbers of
dis-interested "users" (people who just show up and consume resources
without contributing to the space as a whole) -- which is what "launch"
speaks to me.  Noisebridge isn't a gym; it's a collaboration.

> Have the exact member fees been determined?

Our consensus seems to be converging on $80/mo standard dues, with a
"starving hacker" rate (on the individual's recognizance) of $40/mo.
There has been discussion of how to provide "scholarships", "patronage",
or some other system for individuals who are disenfranchized by a $40/mo
expense.

> Are there "entry requirements" (e.g. in the Burning Man Box Shop in
> Hunters Point the organizers say that you can't fix up your car, but
> expect you to do some form of art)?

The consensus seems to be that individual projects should not consume
too much common resources (space, etc) when not being actively worked
on.  Additionally, we're not really set up to provide "coworking" space,
so don't plan to spend 40 hours a week here telecommuting for a startup.

And yes, we don't have space for car repair. :)

AFAIK, beyond that, we haven't discussed "entry requirements" per se.

-andy