[Noisebridge-discuss] Objections to Airport Express for Airtunes?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Oct 13 20:42:45 UTC 2008

The solution offered by Airtunes is (personally opinion) vastly better
then a client/server setup that one can get with a Slimserver or XBMC.
I'd much rather point iTunes (or whatever else) at speakers and start
streaming, as opposed to going to a client and tell it where to find
music, then interface with in order to get that music playing. This is
sort of like having to deal with two computers instead of one.

Don't get me wrong, Slimserver and XBMC are great if you're running a
headless storage solution on the network and need something to pull
and play it without setting up a full on machine o do so. But when
you've already sitting down with your laptop open and facing you, why
would you want to deal with getting your library of music setup on a
secondary machine?

On Oct 13, 2008, at 1:37 PM, grey wrote:

> I think the slimserver stuff is way better than airport expresses.
> Plays flac's and all; but if you've got an airport express already
> *shrug*.
>
> A machine running xbmc is pretty rad too. ;)
>
> -grey
>
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
>> I wish there was a free open source way of doing this but there
>> sort of
>> isn't at the moment. Are any objections to me setting up an Airport
>> Express
>> next to the stereo receiver to stream music/audio to? Jinzora is
>> neat and
>> all, but kind of still a pain of a project to navigate and utilize.
>>
>> --
>> Rubin Abdi
>> Rubin at Starset.net

Rubin Abdi