[Noisebridge-discuss] Objections to Airport Express for Airtunes?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Oct 13 23:29:26 UTC 2008

Replying to multiple things here as it's apparent people don't
actually read whole emails on this list before hitting reply-all.
Amazing! Initiate bitchy Rubin trying to not be bitchy filter, GO!

Firstly it's not hard to feed the audio output from the Airport
Express into the input on the Jukebox machine and balance the two out.
We could also setup a cheap analog mixer, we could setup a mixer which
one could access through a web interface or SSH, we could splice the
cables together with a fucking knife and mad
soldering^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H duct tape skillz. As it turns out
computers and technology in most cases can coexist, go science!

On Oct 13, 2008, at 3:40 PM, Jeff Keyzer wrote:
> What about mpd?  I have it running on a wireless router as a
> portable radio, it seems well suited to making an open source jukebox.

It's already setup, search the wiki and you'll find some info about
how to dump music to it, etc. Airtunes provides an alternate solution
to those who don't want to futs around with making their music library
available to another machine.

On Oct 13, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Shannon Lee wrote:
> I don't want to set up my laptop every time I want to listen to
> music -- Im much more likely to be doing *something else* in the
> space than computer work.

Cool, there's totally a jukebox already setup, you still need to get
onto a machine and interact with the web interface for said jukebox,
be it your own computer or someone else's. Haven't you been to the
space in the past week to check it out? It's all the rage!

> Plus, this doesn't give the oportunity for me to put something into
> the playlist after whatever's already playing, thus seamlessly
> taking over the music or even playing with someone else.

This is a completely valid statement! I'm sure most of the members
would totally be in the boat on figuring out who to do this with the
already setup jukebox system *cough*which already plays music and is
implemented and can remain implemented along side my Airtunes
suggestion*coughcoughhackcough*.

This past Saturday night / Sunday morning Ed and I were at the space,
I was sleep depraved. pvck asked if we wanted to put some music on
because the album he was playing started to loop. I'm like, "sure
let's fucking throw on some Kettel". pvck directed us to the jukebox's
url. Ed and I spent 5 minutes looking at it and give up, no way in
hell we were going to deal with getting our music libraries dumped
onto that machine then have it chug for an hour updating its db. The
argument of "Im much more likely to be doing *something else* in the
space than computer work" can be used here too. I'm sure many members
are completely happy dealing with this. I know at some point in time I
will be too. That night wasn't it.

Now this is how Airtunes works if you have your music library handy
and are running iTunes (I would really love to have a count on how
many of us use Macs for our next mailing list food fight):
1. Open laptop.
2. Start iTunes.
3. Select an output speaker, be it the laptop or Airtunes on the
network.
4. Play generic pop song.
5. Take a shot of rum and fucking dance.

This is how Airtunes works if you don't have your library handy:
1. Stand in the corner and cry.

As you can see, both solutions work together fine and cater to
different users. If I come in one night and nothing is playing, I'm
going to start playing through Airtunes. If people are already in the
space playing music, when the request for someone else to bump
something comes up, I'll ask if I can stream to Airtunes. NOT A
PROBLEM, unless I'm really drunk and am actually secretively looking
for a fist fight, in which case I'll start playing the Willy Wonka
sound track over whatever the jukebox is playing.

> In addition to which, I have more music than can fit on my laptop's
> harddrive, and I'd rather have it at the space where I can play it
> than be limited to whatever I happen to have downloaded recently.
>
> I'm strongly in favor of a jukebox solution.

That's beyond great man, because guess what, there's a jukebox
solution waiting for you at the hunting den inside 83c, just ready to
get its juicy pawns on some fucking fresh beats!

Why does it seem like every suggestion tossed into the list here is
read off by others as a replacement to already implemented solutions
and not as an option that can live side by side with what we've got?
Overly comical example I illustrated in the channel in order to bring
a smile to your face at the end of this long and terrible email...

- Initial email: Hey kids, we got this totally fucking awesome
playground, I get carpet burns on the slide, anyone mind if I add in
one of those merry go round things were you can totally crack one of
your arms off with?
- Reply 1: Fuck horses, we want ponies.
- Reply 2: I like the god damn slide, don't get rid of the slide.
- Reply 3: Merry go rounds are the shit, fuck your religion.
- Reply 4: Dude, we should install a slide, it would be great if we
had a slide, why don't we already have a slide?
- My reply back: I'm sorry, I didn't know I typed out the sentence,
"let's replace the slide with the merry go round, the slide can go to
hell" in my email with invisible ink, next time I'll be more careful
with what I don't say or mean. Oh look a cake!

--
Rubin Abdi
Rubin at Starset.net