[Noisebridge-discuss] maybe something else we don't want in the space

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 16:45:36 UTC 2008

One of my volunteer things is refurbishing computers and giving them away for free to non-profit groups.  So, I've learned a few things along the way.

We can probably get rid of CRTs for free.  The trouble is:  we will need to get rid of them.  No one seems to want them any more (even though they have way better picture quality).  Not only would they take up lots of space, but they are heavy, and it's fairly easy to hurt yourself while moving a bunch of them around.  They are, indeed, toxic waste, so they can't legally be thrown away or dumped to a street corner (and I imagine that none of us really wants to see toxic waste added to our environment).  So, if anyone has any CRTs that they want to get rid of, feel free to ask on the list to see if anyone wants them, but I would suggest disposing of them to the fairly large list of places in the Bay Area that are set up to properly handle CRTs.  Here is an incomplete list:
   CRC
   ACCRC
   Goodwill stores
   Cole Hardware stores
   HRM

LCDs are not less toxic, but are way easier to store and handle and move around, and they take up less energy (and they have far inferior picture quality -- there are always tradeoffs).

Mitch.

--------------------------> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:57:50 -0700> From: artkiver at gmail.com> To: rachel at xtreme.com> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] maybe something else we don't want in the space> CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net; adi at hexapodia.org> > I definitely agree that it doesn't cost us anything to dispose of vs a> CRT in direct financial terms, but I could say the same thing about> bringing my garbage bag from home, we can just put it in the dumpster> with no extra cost too, right?> > Also, I mean if we're doing some specific fundraider/donation thing> that's one thing. But there are already non profits set up for> receiving and repurposing old computer equipment, e.g.> http://www.crc.org/ and they're already setup to help you with the tax> writeoff. We should definitely help those guys keep doing what> they're doing.> > On the other hand, if there's a specific call for equipment of an> antiquated nature, by all means bring it by, but if you're just> bringing stuff by the space that there's been no call or perceived> need for, moving junk out of your house isn't what we want either I> don't think.> > We should really be utilizing:> https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php/ThingsWeWant and> https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php/ThingsWeHaveToGiveAway> > We currently do have a need for a managed switch that can do 802.1q> trunking so that we vlan off the ruckus AP appropriately, none of the> 3 unplugged 10/100hubs are helping us get close to this goal, and> another 50 will still not help us with that goal.> > Don't get me wrong though, power efficiency (and noise pollution) are> good things to avoid, and network gear we do want should keep those> things in mind. That said, a lot of older/trailing edge technology> does take up more power (whether due to a 5V vs 3.3V design or because> you can actually do a helluvalot more in less time with some core2duo> than you can a honkin' pentium pro).> > -grey> > On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com> wrote:> > Regarding antiquated hardware in general, I'd like to see Noisebridge at> > some point host a one-day "drop off your old crap" recycle-fest. I'm sure> > everyone and their grandparents have some old hardware they don't want any> > more and would like to get rid of responsibly.> >> > To be clear, I do NOT in any way propose we become a donation station> > generally. A one-day, limited event, with some kind of parameters like:> >> > * we'd do the research up front to find out where to take the various things> > (possibly just ACCRC)> > * we rent a truck to take the things to wherever> > * if it will cost us money to get rid of, we collect that from the person> > dropping off the item> > * we get to pick through it first ;)> >> > We're not ready to do this for a while yet so I'm not suggesting a time or> > asking for volunteers, but this thread made me think of it so I'm just> > putting the idea out.> >> > Rachel> >> _______________________________________________> Noisebridge-discuss mailing list> Noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net> https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/noisebridge-discuss