[Noisebridge-discuss] space report: 83C Wiese

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Fri Sep 26 05:02:07 UTC 2008

I'm going to arrive a little early tomorrow and knock on the door of the
upstairs tenants, see if they're around and willing to chat a little.

Andy Isaacson wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 05:46:54PM -0700, Rachel McConnell wrote:
>> * could we build out the upper area to extend further to the front?
>> Looks potentially possible if the landlord is OK with that.
>
> I don't think this looks easy, but you have more experience with this
> than I -- hope you can provide insight tomorrow.

I know a guy who knows this stuff, anyway.  I don't think it's a blocker
for us.

>> * are the upstairs, or next-door, people permanently installed -- i.e.
>> is there a chance of another vacancy in a year or two.
>
> There's a possibility of course, but unclear how likely.  The landlord
> is specifically OK with this; apparently the next-door and
> above-next-door units are already joined thus.

Excellent.

>> * how long of a lease would we have?  We could move elsewhere in a year
>> if we really needed more space.
>
> One year lease.  (which, I think, also means we have no guarantee of
> rent amount next year, since rent control is only for residential, yes?)

We should try to get a copy of the lease agreement she wants tomorrow.
Andy will you call her in the morning and ask her to bring it?  Ideally
it will have a clause saying our rent after a year goes month-to-month
with a specified percentage increase (or better, a maximum percentage
increase), indefinitely.

We need to go over it for a day or two before signing and we may need to
negotiate.  It's one thing giving her a check that she promises not to
cash until the lease is signed, and it's quite another signing a lease
without having had a chance to read it through properly.