[Noisebridge-discuss] REMINDER: First Aid and CPR TONIGHT!

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 21:43:05 UTC 2009

6PM: First Aid
8PM: CPR
Please be on time!  These are going to be really intense classes.  Michael's
condensing down *8 hours* of instruction into 4 hour classes.  Expect to cut
right to the chase with none of the usual milling about.  But this should be
fun!  It's being taught by one of us after all.

Also, we are requesting donations.  Do respond to the value you see us
adding to the community by supporting our efforts.  Especially if this is
your first interaction with the space, we're hoping that everyone is willing
to help support our community.

The main reasons Michael gives for taking each class are:
CPR:
Someone goes unconscious, You can call 911, and they'll show up in 5-10
minutes (on a good night) but if that person's breathing had stopped they'd
be brain dead by the time the paramedics walk  in the door. CPR can keep the
person's brain alive, buying them time. CPR can be effective any time a
person's breathing has stopped whether from toxic inhalation, a blow to the
head, electrocution or more commonly heart attack (which, as the leading
cause of death, kills over half a million people a year in the US or
>1/minute).

First Aid:
My class goes beyond issues like how to treat a burn or a cut. More
importantly is knowing whether an accident or medical emergency is serious
enough to call 911, or to drive them to the hospital, or to just treat and
forget. Whether it's someone who fell and banged their head, is suddenly
short of breath, spills hot liquid on themselves, punctures themselves with
a tool, gets something in their eye, or anything else.

...I mean, we don't know anyone who would puncture themselves with a tool,
do we?

Christie
--
I refuse to give up childish things.