[Noisebridge-discuss] Notes from 9 April 2009 meeting

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 8 07:17:21 UTC 2009

Thanks much to Mitch for filling in for me when I had to step out
partway through. Let me know if anything is missing or can be fixed.

Noisebridge notes 9 April 2009

Introductions

Regular happenings
* Pyclass continues.
* ML is doing backprop, neural networks. Next week

either intro to ML or SVMs. "What is machine

learning?" "AI with fewer promises." "Machine

learning is what will make the RepRap really

dangerous."
* Science Engineering Huddle
**Help people find out what they want to do to tune

their ideas. Both performance factor and ergonomics.

Lots of stuff between head and tools to make things

execute.
* Natural Language Corners
** Mandarin Corner - fridays had low attendance.

Last week had one person.
** Spanish - Daniela wants to do another occasional

one.
** Interest in a German night run by Seth, Jake?

Lots.

* Sensebridge/Cyborg
** Adding magnetic sense to bodies. Trying to

replicate experiments from Wired article.
** Active hardware projects. Demonstrable state.

Come along Sunday 11AM for Cyborg Mass.

* OpenEEG
** Trying to replicate open EEG. Working on

implementation details. After that, then will be

need for software. Sunday 3pm.

* Go workshop
** on Sunday 3PM. enki plays. Last week at Dolores

Park.

* Distributed database class
** Jonathan Moore will run
** Does not read the list. Talk to him or put on

wiki.
** 3-hour impromptu talk.

* Chris Paget RFID hacking
** Reconfirmed today.
** Cloning prox cards, cloning PASS cards.
** 2pm.

* Membership report
** Hiatus: can take an official hiatus. To do this,

notify the treasurer when starting, when coming back

(if known). During period on hiatus, can no longer

block consensus. Whatever reason you have is fine.

If the reason you have for the hiatus stops, come

back. No need to re-membership process.
** Banning: Made more sense to have a "banning from

the space" process instead of de-membering person.

Banning means can't come in one week. Can't block

consensus for one week. Can't block a consensus that

bans you. Banning not an immediate conflict

resolution process. Something bad may happen to

prompt banning as a proposal but it doesn't happen

immediately.

Banning starts at meeting, goes for a week. Someone

has to let the person banned known. Consensus can be

done at one meeting, does not have to be

Listed on back of door on "Wall of Shame." Public

shaming. This is a rare process to be used only for

people who seriously fuck up.

Q: why not 3 strikes you're out?