[Noisebridge-discuss] Filling order for MA3 Miniature Absolute Magnetic Shaft (Rotary) Encoders

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Tue Apr 14 21:04:54 UTC 2009

Hey all, new to the list but been to NB a dozen times.

I am filling out an order for a project Christie and I are working on.  The
application we have is, we need position sensing for steering and dead
reckoning for robots.  There are a number of considerations and we've had a
tough time finding one thing that does it all:

   - Absolute encoding
   - High Resolution (positions per revolution)
   - Cycles (many as low as 20,000 revolutions!)
   - Size
   - Pin-out (many encoders require up to 8 digital IO each)
   - Price

But with the advice of the good Dr. Foote, we may have found what we need.
It's almost too perfect!

http://tr.im/abmag

   1. It's got Absolute encoding
   2. It has 10bit or 12bit resolution.  Up to 4096 positions per
   revolution! (We were going to settle for 16!)
   3. Cycles are in the millions, depending on the load
   4. .3" in diameter
   5. 3 pins
   6. As low as $36 for single orders

Ok, so these are 5 times as expensive as the encoders we were going to use,
but the cheap encoders meant we were either going to need serious hardware
to read all the data, or we were going to need an Arduino per encoder.  They
may still have been cheaper, but not when considering our labors.

There are two models I am interested in.  They are identical except that one
uses bushings and one uses ball bearings.  The ball bearing model has a long
life, can operate at higher speed, is less weight and may be smaller.  The
price difference starts at $6.

If anyone else is interested in getting in on an

MA3-P10-125-N

Quantity Price  1$36.0010$31.5450$27.78100$23.89 Over 100 Call for quote
MA3-P10-125-B

Quantity Price  1$41.8010$37.3450$33.58100$29.69 Over 100 Call for quote
We are interested in getting a bulk order in, not just to lower price, but
because we thought others might be interested, and the more interested
people we have, the more brains we have to pick should there be problems.

What say ya'll?

Ciao!

--
Success is a tasty spirit distilled from bitter failure
--Coreyfro