[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus Portion Minutes 14 April 2009

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 15 04:19:29 UTC 2009

Consensus Portion of Meeting
Noisebridge 14 April 2009

* Intro, what is noisebridge? Jon
	- Be excellent to each other, dudes
	- Consensus process

* Names+Intros
** Two additional G1s Chris DiBona for noisedroid!

* Pay Dues!
* Robogames
** Daniela showed there, great venue, but lots and

lots of work. If you aren't around 24 hours art may

be damaged.

* Five Minutes of Fame
** This thursday! Lightning talks. Rapid fire series

of interesting talks. Still some slots open. Talk to

Miloh for a slot.

* Project Updates
** LED Screen
*** Now a single screen - objects move across

middle!
*** Now has wireless zigbee programming.
*** Next step: font created, put text on it.

** Light Bar
*** It's here, Rubin brought it in.

** RepRap
*** 3D printer project. Will eventually build

everything needed to make itself.
*** Anyone interested, talk to Andy or Shannon.

** Circuit Hacking Mondays
*** Every Monday at Noisebridge, come hack circuits.

When Mitch in town, teach people to solder. When

Mitch not here, we try to imitate him.

** PyClass
*** Asheesh teaching Python class. Looking for help

teaching it. At end of text.

** Machine Learning Wednesdays
*** Building neural networks from the ground up.

Workshop based. Talk about things, introduce it,

then implement in favorite language.
*** Praveen teaching SVM starting tomorrow night.
*** If have own laptop and know programming, good

fit.

** Science Engineering Huddle
*** Thursday 8PM
*** People who want to figure out why their project

is not working, explore other ways of making it

work. Give an overview of what they are working on.
*** Variety show too, do something different every

week. Explore something different, otherwise out of

scope.

** Natural Language Corners
*** Mandarin on Friday, if someone shows up. Contact

Skory if you're actually coming. New times

requested.
*** German: we have CCC people here this weekend.

German night to talk with the Germans.
*** Spanish: Daniela can't commit to ongoing, will

do sometimes.

** Sensebridge
*** Sunday 11AM.
*** Build ways to make you a better human by

replicating other peoples' experiments with new

senses.
*** Skory has vibrating anklet that tells him where

North is. "Is that why you're buzzing?" Chip needs

to be horizontal. Eric and Skory actively improving

it.
*** Focus on building things.

** OpenEEG
*** Kelly presenting her first paper. Tentative

meeting this week. Thursday night?

** DC3
*** Digital forensics: Trying to repair something

after deliberate destruction or hidden.
*** We have contest pieces via the mail.
*** Username "Master of Disaster."

** OpenAMD
*** Last HOPE RFID tracking
*** Aestetix part of team that deployed it in

Berlin, at last HOPE. RFID triangulation/tracking.
*** Readers coming for free
*** Q: will it have high enough resolution to tell

where exactly in space we are?
*** A: more readers, better triangulation. New

firmware accurate w/in a foot.
*** Q: ID badges for people who use name other than

what's on the drivers license. Can we merge some of

this stuff and issue NB ID badges?
*** A: Did deployment to scare people, figure out

how to not become Island of Dr. Moreau.

** Go on Sunday at 3PM
*** Last week was Dolores park
*** enki on another continent

* Consensus Items
** Membership Committee : Hiatus
*** Take hiatus, temporary leave from paying dues.
*** Talk to Mitch
*** Not allowed to block consensus while on hiatus
**** Clarifications:
**** 1) Starts/stops on month to month basis
**** 2) You are still responsible for your behavior

and the behavior of people you bring to the space
*** Consensus on hiatus

** Membership Committee : Removal
*** If you do not pay dues and do not communicate

with the treasurer, then you will be removed.
*** Why removal? Because need legal members for

things like electing board members.
*** Q: Without a vote of the members, can we

redefine what member means?
*** Interjection: It could take effect next month,

not immediately.
*** Q: Can ask clarification?
*** Trying to see if have consensus - are you a

member?
*** Questioner is not a member, so deferred to

later.
*** Consensus on removal process
** Membership Committee : Membership
*** Had long discussion about membership process
*** Recommendation - do not change process, but do

change how it's explained
*** Jon: Many people, including self, thought

process was bullshit, elitist, etc. Stayed around

only because knew people. Not about process or

elitist. More about knowing you're not an asshole

before we have you join. Way we usually go about it

is this process. Process is a tool to help us know

you you are.
*** Jake: Membership process still esoteric, but

idea is to clarify it.
*** Rachel: No consensus needed since not changing?
*** Steen: Put together coherent explanation of the

process.
*** Rachel: Go for it!
*** Nothing to consense on here. We think status quo

is OK for the formal process.

* Membership Binder
** Process: sign name on paper in binder. Names read

out each meeting. After four meetings eligible for

meeting.

Jesse Zbiowski  not present
Bryce Lemke not present
J. Stella Worley   present
Doug Worley present
Meredith Scheff not present
Mika  present
Billy Maurer  present
Joachim Petersen not present
Molly Boynoff not present
Tracy Jacobs  not present
Ka-Ping Yee  not present
Andrew Milmore not present
Jon Waters present  up tonight
Jason Spence not present
Ryan Carter not present
Matthew Borgati not present
G Carter Stockum not present
Larry Frisoli not present
Jessica Richman not present
Martyn B. not present
Crusher Donovan not present
Rion Snow not present
Jeff Schmidt  present  march 2 up tonight
Elle Coe  not present
Mike Ashmore not present

Jake and Jeff go buy beer

* Jeff
Speaker on behalf of Jeff - great guy, sync music
Speaker on behalf of Jeff - interacted, lot of fun
Why wants to join: meet new people, teach true

religion of LISP, push the night away, form a more

perfect union, immanentize the Eschaton, drag the

Tao by its eternal golden braid.

Consensus: Jeff accepted as a member.

* Jon Waters

Discussion about how to figure out who is Jon

Waters. Two people say they know who is Jon Waters
Who sponsored Jon Waters?
Jake re-enters, leaves.
Andy not OK with person being in the room while

being discussed.
"If they insist on being anonymous they have to deal

with it
Has Jon been here every time his name's been read?
Don't have
"Raise your hand if you know who Jon Waters is"
"Keep your hand raised if you will kick Jon Waters'

ass if he tries something?"
Q: Can't we just have Jon slip out before the

meeting next time?
Member blocks Jon Waters b/c he is in room.
Member blocks Jon Waters b/c don't know him.
Suggestion: next week, Jon Waters not in the room.
Suggestion: Jon Waters introduce self to people.