[Noisebridge-discuss] Open hardware Thermal Cycler

Tito Jankowski titojankowski at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 16:24:25 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,
Anyone interested in taking $3000 piece of must-have biotech equipment,
hacking it, and creating a $500 open hardware device? The DIYbio group is
trying to do just that -- with the Open Thermal Cycler. A thermal cycler is
electronics heavy, since the core hardware must change its temperature
rapidly over many cycles. This lends itself to a platform like Arduino, as
well as open hardware-style development. There are other important other
parts such as heating elements, network/software interface, user interface
 -- and the challenge will be getting everything working together.

Thermal cycler basics -- you can think of it as a DNA xerox machine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_cycler

Here's the thread on the main DIYbio mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/diybio/browse_thread/thread/c4dc7249ce34e9a8

We're entertaining using Arduino, having a built in web server, and other
goodies to make the project fun and super powered.

Let me know if you're interested or just hop on the DIYbio thread!

Tito