[Noisebridge-discuss] Software Reverse Engineering Workshop

Daniel Packer dp at danielpacker.org
Wed Apr 22 07:49:50 UTC 2009

How about a software reverse engineering workshop sometime in May?

This came up after Mike told me about his exploits in hacking software
with custom hardware (like figuring out how to cheat at every Nintendo
game) and his interest in software visualization - as in, showing in a
visually intuitive way what a program and the overall system is doing
in terms of memory and operations.

Anyway, we agreed it'd be great to have a workshop like this to see
what the capabilities of modern disassemblers and related tools are,
and figure out the basics of how to use them.

So... if you happen to be an expert at IDA or some other reverse
engineering tool and you wouldn't mind sharing some of your knowledge
please let me know so we can organize something fun. I'll even provide
snacks. If you know of software visualization and R.E. tools that
would be of interest, that'd be cool too.

AND, if you don't know this stuff but want to learn, feel free to chime in.

-Daniel