[Noisebridge-discuss] Software Reverse Engineering Workshop

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Wed Apr 22 08:08:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 12:49:50AM -0700, Daniel Packer wrote:
> How about a software reverse engineering workshop sometime in May?
>
> This came up after Mike told me about his exploits in hacking software
> with custom hardware (like figuring out how to cheat at every Nintendo
> game) and his interest in software visualization - as in, showing in a
> visually intuitive way what a program and the overall system is doing
> in terms of memory and operations.
>
> Anyway, we agreed it'd be great to have a workshop like this to see
> what the capabilities of modern disassemblers and related tools are,
> and figure out the basics of how to use them.
>
> So... if you happen to be an expert at IDA or some other reverse
> engineering tool and you wouldn't mind sharing some of your knowledge
> please let me know so we can organize something fun. I'll even provide
> snacks. If you know of software visualization and R.E. tools that
> would be of interest, that'd be cool too.
>
> AND, if you don't know this stuff but want to learn, feel free to chime in.

I have a prepackaged talk on IDA, HTE, and windbg I could give.  If
this were any other crowd I'd say something like how I'd need to give
an x86 assembly talk first so the reversing talk doesn't sound like
incoherent hexadecimal rage, but I'm not sure that's true for
noisebridgers.

I could also write up some new slides on visualization.  However, I
concluded long ago that visualization which would actually enhance
productivity instead of merely looking cool would require displays
that won't exist for a while yet (50+ megapixels).

Most people I know get by with the graphing features in IDA 5, me
included.