[Noisebridge-discuss] Membership meeting notes

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Wed Apr 29 08:52:58 UTC 2009

8:00 PM
I was informed that there is no burrito-related motivation to get this
meeting over with today, so it's going to start via critical mass and
brownian motion instead of on time

... time passes...

8:40 PM, approx 20 ppl and 3 burritos in attendance

(This portion of the meeting is sponsored by Burritophile DOT COM.
"Burritophile: it's all in your hands.")

* Meeting
Introductions, new people

Jimmy from Paris reports that he searched for hacker spaces, he does
mumble from TMP lab [ed: I found out later that mumble == crazy
awesome multitouch + fluid user interfaces, and he's presenting it
tomorrow at parisoma @ 6]

Wilson looking to get into live coding for real time visual generation

Ian stopped by on Rubin's recommendation

Dan stopped by due to the wired article
 working on street lights, analemma mumble

* Announcements

Circuit Hacking Mondays
Pyclass
 May have a new teacher in the new future
Machine Learning
 Is apparently awesome
 John is supposed to continue doing this

Science/engineering Design Huddle
 Mike reports there is some progress on the rechargable flashlight,
 now with demo goodness

Natural Language Corners
 German
  Christine reporting
  Thursday @ 6 starting next week
  Waiting for someone to get a list of people
  Professional German instructor and translator will be available
  "It's on the wiki"

Cyborg Group
 The cyborg group is working to create a band of supermen and superwomen and all the minority genders as well
 by applying sensors and apparatus to make life better and stuf
 In practical terms, we're currently working on doing things like building a magnetic sensor by ... you may have  read about this in wired
 We're very focused on building rather than talking about it
 Meet on Sundays
 Someone is wearing something now
 Mumble mumble world domination
 Human perception mumble brain computer interface
 DIYbio probably should not be providing monkeys for experimentation
  Some disagreement, taken offline

OpenEEG
 All the openeeg people are not here
 This is a project to put little electrodes on your head and READ YOUR MIND.
 Current status is unknown. [ed: clearly, the mindreading bit needs work]

Five Minutes of Fame
 Currently accepting submissions for May
 Next event is the third thursday of the month
 Like lightning talks but better

DC3 Digital Forensics Challenge
 See the wiki
 [ed: Dr. Jesus has the images on coloed storage, ask one of the DC3
 people for access to the mailing list]

OpenAMD
 Social networking on top of RFID tracking
 Imagine facebook in the real world

Go
 Everyone should come by and play Go Sundays at 3.

* Consensus Items
 Purchasing soldering badges
 Mitch was quoted $1.95 per badge for circuit hacking mondays
 Proposal was for $195 for 100
 Adafruit did the design
 Tabled it

9:01

* Consensus Process for Kicking Out Members
 No objections to listed process (about time)

* New Member Approvals
 Johan Undam
 Joey Hearst
 Rodney mumble
 Bill O'Connor
 Michael Torren
 Mickey Mouse [ed: I think something got mixed up here, sorry]
  Is Hella Cool
  Wrote tcptraceroute
  Everyone should go apt-get install that right now
 Fitz Harding
 Ryan Cassamumble
 Justin Regele
 Daniel C Silverstein (cubes) [ed: "it says cubes in parenthesis here"]
 Jesse Zebowski
 Vrice mumble
 J mumble,
 Douglas mumble (whirley)
 Meridith Chef
 Michael Lee
 Billy Mowler
 Joquin Peterson
 Molly Buenovmumble
 Tracy Jacobs
 John Waters
  Skip that
 mumble mumble
  Is awesome
 Andrew G Milmo
 Jason Spence
 Ryan Carter
 G Carter Silson
 Larry Frizoli
 Jessica Richmond
 Martin
  Still needs a second signature
 Crutcher Donmumble
 Elly Ko
 Mike Atchmore
  Is at the elbow room
  Needs signatures

[ed: this is where I went to go get beer, someone else took notes]
Anyone wanna talk shit
kinda weird, but he is cool
does a lot of random weird stuff
has worked on some things that have broken the network, is working
with diag tools to fix the network, fyi his handel is dr. jesus, he is
hilarious, does anyone have any objections to this fine hackerly
indivd, woah.. windows WHAT? he is a member yay! [ed: Windows Server
2008 Datacenter]

Member interlude {He is back with beer... yay he is a member... }

(This portion of the meeting is sponsored by Club Matte.  "Club Matte:
it's spelled with one T, dumbass.")

[ed: go search for "club matte" on google and be amazed at our google
juice!  also, the fact that that happens tells me someone might have
missed an * or two in our robots.txt...]

Club matte-
shipment? Jake is interested in working on it... NB could deside to buy a half container, 10foot cube on a side,
where would we store this? Should we buy less than a full container? We can't store a half container at 83C... If anyone else is interested in CM they should talk to JAKE... There is a distributor that I used to know, which might with insentives that would be able to store the CM, 2nd thing is the same distributor might be able to get us vending mech. But they might get hacked...

[ed: back with beer]
Masks in the space due to swine flu
 As of today is now a California state emergency, allows contesting
 people with no credentials
  Example: DIYbio fridge can be declared a biohazard
 Wash all surfaces with bleach?
 Go vegan to be immune to swine flu
 No food waiver for fridge
  Waiver is required for bacon
   Bacon should not have swine flu
    Does not
     Does too
 Avoid vibrating individuals
  Bacon-based haptic swine flu sensor
   This may be patented
    Noisebridge is not collectively responsible for individual civil liability
 Volunteers for infection requested
  Yes if there is bacon involved
 Searching for underground spaces for swine flu shelter
 New "open-sores" license
 [ed: if you thought that was bad, you're lucky you didn't see the CSI
 illustration -- WARNING ILLUSTRATION MAY CAUSE MASSIVE FACEPALM]
 God is better than the flu
  This statement is contested

Update for toorcamp
 No updates
 Probably Jacob

Space
 Good chance we can get out of our lease
  Some members have offered to take the lease
  Lease goes through the end of September
 If we're going to grow we need space to grow
 Start looking for a different space in the same neighborhood
 Noise is a problem with more than one meeting in the same place
 Money isn't that big of an issue at the moment
  About $3k per month cash flow
  About $2k goes to rent
  Insurance, corp fees, utilities, Internets, cleaning take up a good part of the rest
  According to the last treasurer's report, we have enough in the bank + promises of money to move
  Member addition rate is about 6 per month
  Ideal target would be $5k per month
 Please look up spaces!
 Need wiki page with requirements
  and a Pony
  One requirement is 0.25 miles to an SF BART station
  Food
  Someone should put all this on a page on the wiki
  [ed: not it]
 Looking to double our existing space
 https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/The_Space
 There amazing shitholes on the market
  Many of them are Do Not Want
   And involve brick walls
 Said shitholes may be useful for emergency swine flu shelter
  Bacon required

Digikey order deadline is tomorrow
Christine has volunteered to moderate the next meeting

Take the garbage out
 Key is on the wall, you are empowered to use it to further
 garbage-related action items
 Key goes to gate across the alley
  Recyclables -> blue bin
  Trash -> black bin
 Live demonstration of garbage engineering procedures
 CSMA collision involving grey-
 No further garbage related exceptions

Finshed 9:42

[ed: I just noticed that there is a serious lack of bacon and/or
burrito pages on the wiki.  Someone should do something about this.]