[Noisebridge-discuss] Scala language

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Wed Apr 1 18:11:45 UTC 2009

Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2009, at 10:54 AM, jim wrote:
>> most generally, what is Scala?
>
> Functional programming language built on top of Java and with many of
> the design ideas from OCaml and Haskell woven into the language.
>
> At least that's what I've heard.
>
> // Mikael

It's OO, as well, but does have .. first-class functions.  It also has
what they call 'traits', which is the thing that pushed me into actively
wanting to learn it.  It seems to be a way to get around the
single-inheritance restriction of Java by allowing objects to use these
separately coded traits as if they were methods... ick I don't know
enough to explain it yet.

It's a language, it runs in the Java Virtual Machine (or .Net framework
but apparently not as well, yet) with similar syntax to Java but some
significant improvements in density & features.

Rachel