[Noisebridge-discuss] High-output IR LEDs?

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 4 21:15:54 UTC 2009

The highest output IR LEDs I could find are the ones I use for TV-B-Gone remote controls.  For the regular keychain version of TV-B-Gone, I use Everlight IR333C/H0/L10, which have +/- 40 degrees radiation output.  For the TV-B-Gone kit and TV-B-Gone Pro, I use half of those, and half of Everlight IR333-A, which have the same insides, but a different lens, to give +/- 20 degreees radiation output (same energy in a narrower beam means it shines further, but you have to aim more accurately).  Both of these are available for very cheap at low quanitities (and even cheaper at high quantities) from Mouser:

     IR333C/H0/L10    +/- 40 degrees   $0.14 each

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=638-IR333C%2fH0%2fL10

     IR333-A    +/- 20 degrees   $0.19 each:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=638-IR333-A

If I had any, I'd give them to you, but I used all of mine up to turn off TVs.

Best,

Mitch.