[Noisebridge-discuss] High-output IR LEDs?

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Sat Apr 4 23:00:43 UTC 2009

Thanks Mitch for expert recommendations!

Josh, I have a few of these kicking around if you want to play with
them. Don't know specs on the diodes but they seem to do the job:
http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10866

I worked with IR cameras for a patent I did a while back. I found the
trick was to mod visible cameras by removing the IR-blocking filter.
Some recent cameras have these integrated into the sensor chip but for
most it's a separate dichroic glass (has a slight pinkish sheen when
seen off-axis). Usually easy to just remove. For best results you will
want to block visible light, a good choice is the Kodak Wratten #87
available from Edmund Optics. It a gel filter and you can cut out the
same shape as the IR-block you are swapping it for.