[Noisebridge-discuss] High-output IR LEDs?

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Mon Apr 6 18:30:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 04:00:43PM -0700, Jonathan Foote wrote:
> Thanks Mitch for expert recommendations!
>
> Josh, I have a few of these kicking around if you want to play with
> them. Don't know specs on the diodes but they seem to do the job:
> http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10866

I'll get in touch with you off-list for this.  Thanks for the offer!

> I worked with IR cameras for a patent I did a while back. I found the
> trick was to mod visible cameras by removing the IR-blocking filter.
> Some recent cameras have these integrated into the sensor chip but for
> most it's a separate dichroic glass (has a slight pinkish sheen when
> seen off-axis). Usually easy to just remove. For best results you will
> want to block visible light, a good choice is the Kodak Wratten #87
> available from Edmund Optics. It a gel filter and you can cut out the
> same shape as the IR-block you are swapping it for.

Cool, thanks for the pointers.  I've got an old 3040-Z at home that
I'm starting to mod for IR photography, so that's all familiar.  We're
really keen on using cheap-assed webcams on this particular project,
but I might have to hurry up on the Olympus at this point...

Thanks for your help, this is a pretty neat project, and I'm sure
people will like what we're doing with it.
--
Josh Myer   650.248.3796
  josh at joshisanerd.com