[Noisebridge-discuss] Access to the calendar?

Adam Skory askory at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 22:44:50 UTC 2009

> I'd say we're doing just fine. If people want to start hosting services
> for Noisebridge, they should step up and make them. I imagine though
> they'll get a lot of push back if they don't have the ability to run the
> service themselves. To be clear, that isn't about skill per se, it's
> usually about time and dedication.

I suggested installing a wiki-ized calendar plugin *last year*. It
never happened because I don't have admin privileges and the few whom
I know to be admins, it seems, are too busy and I don't like bugging
busy people to do things for me. I would also really like to install a
code syntax highlighting plugin for the wiki. These never happened
because I can't be bothered to ask for things over and over.

> I disagree. There are many wiki maintainers, I'm one of them.

Cool! Who are they? How does one go about becoming one?

>> There's something to be said for
>> externalizing maintenance, even if it comes at the cost of some
>> flexiblity.

> Generally, we shy away from hosted services because they lock in data.
> If the lead of that service fades away from Noisebridge, we too may
> become locked out of the data.

The mob will end up deciding and that's fine by me. If gCal is the
best we can put together and that's what we use, great. If someone
puts the work into hosting (and maintaining) our own open source
services, hella even better. If someone cares enough to push the mob
one way or another by making their preference work the best, good for
them.

-Skory