[Noisebridge-discuss] Access to the calendar?

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Apr 24 00:24:19 UTC 2009

Adam Skory wrote:
>> I'd say we're doing just fine. If people want to start hosting services
>> for Noisebridge, they should step up and make them. I imagine though
>> they'll get a lot of push back if they don't have the ability to run the
>> service themselves. To be clear, that isn't about skill per se, it's
>> usually about time and dedication.
>
> I suggested installing a wiki-ized calendar plugin *last year*. It
> never happened because I don't have admin privileges and the few whom
> I know to be admins, it seems, are too busy and I don't like bugging
> busy people to do things for me. I would also really like to install a
> code syntax highlighting plugin for the wiki. These never happened
> because I can't be bothered to ask for things over and over.

If I remember correctly, you suggested a number of plugins and just
asked that one of them be installed. I didn't take the time to sort out
which plugin was the correct one and just continued to add events
manually. I probably should have taken the time to do that in
retrospect, I'm sorry that I didn't invest more time in the process.

I don't think you should have to nag someone. However, I really think
you should present a pretty clear idea of what needs to be done.
Something like, this code, this version, here's why, here's the risk,
here's the reward, I have beer and kisses for your work, etc.

To be clear though, I'm not the final arbiter of this, Andy and others
can just as easily do that work too. I find in practice though, the
above is a good guideline for getting people to do work for the group.
Especially on the main group server.

I'm more than happy to do both plugin installs if you point me at both
code bases and help drive the process. We can do the install together or
you can drive it yourself.

>> I disagree. There are many wiki maintainers, I'm one of them.
>
> Cool! Who are they? How does one go about becoming one?

I'm glad you asked.

I'm one of them, Andy is another. Anyone else is welcome to step forward
and claim their administrative rights. Someone else does some bit of our
DNS, I think.

I'm more than happy to have you become more involved with sysadmin work.
It's like painting a fence, it's tons of fun!

I suspect that you, Andy and myself would need to meet to ensure we have
similar ideas of being an admin on the box. I'm more than happy to
spread out the responsibility for those services and for those servers
but I want to balance that with risk. I don't want the box to get owned
because someone tosses up a matts form mail script.

Contact me out of band and we'll talk about it? You'll need an ssh key,
a login stanza and some time with Andy and myself.

>>> There's something to be said for
>>> externalizing maintenance, even if it comes at the cost of some
>>> flexiblity.
>
>> Generally, we shy away from hosted services because they lock in data.
>> If the lead of that service fades away from Noisebridge, we too may
>> become locked out of the data.
>
> The mob will end up deciding and that's fine by me. If gCal is the
> best we can put together and that's what we use, great. If someone
> puts the work into hosting (and maintaining) our own open source
> services, hella even better. If someone cares enough to push the mob
> one way or another by making their preference work the best, good for
> them.

Sure, that's why some people are using gCal. I don't object. I'm just
not going out of my way to support any hosted stuff with any of my time.
gCal works for people who want to use it, some people don't use it.

As long as it works both ways, I'm pretty sure it's not a problem.

Best,
Jake