[Noisebridge-discuss] a little bit of info on the excel program, and an idea to move forward

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 25 13:56:27 UTC 2009

I really like the idea of each kid having their own Arduino.  If each could have their own Arduino environment (laptop or desktop), that'd be even cooler.  Of course, kids could share, but that adds frustration (which some kids can handle, and others not so much).

I just finished a week of teaching at a middle school / high school for learning disability kids in NYC.  They have kids with any learning disability that keeps them from doing well at a public school, including: dislexia, Assburger's, ADHD, etc.  Winston Prep is a private school that has mostly kids paid for by the NYC public schools (since the public schools don't have programs, they resort to private schools to fill the gap).  The public school system does whatever it can to keep kids from successfully obtaining the necessary funds to pay for going to Winston, making parents and kids jump through zillions of obstacles.  That is way awful, but the interesting up-side of that is that the kids that get through all the hoops are all kids who's parents are way supportive and who are involved with their kids education, which is a huge advantage for any kid's education.

Anyway, the experience was great.  I taught kids about the basics of electronics, and then taught them to solder, and gave them a choice of making many projects, including:  MiniPOV, TV-B-Gone, Brain Machine, Trippy RGB Waves, Mignonette Game.  They were all popular.

I taught 118 kids (a little over half the school).  All of them volunteered for the classes, which makes a huge difference. Getting kids with various learning disabilities focused is a challenge.  But once these kids were focused, they were FOCUSED!  Each class was 3 hours long, and many kids who were not finished with their project by the end really wanted to stay longer.  The computer teacher is providing time after school for these kids.

This experience shows me that there's lots of kids way hungry for what we can teach them!

I got to go now -- people are calling me to go to Boston Bar Camp, and the Cyberarts Festival.   More later...

Mitch.