[Noisebridge-discuss] Machine Learning meetup tonight: SVMs at 8!

Christoph Maier cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 01:06:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 15:28 -0700, Josh Myer wrote:
> Tonight, we'll be building Support Vector Machines (SVMs) with
> Praveen.  SVMs are a workhorse of modern text processing work, and are
> great for deciding whether an object is from class A or class B (apple
> or orange, hot or not, etc).
>
> Please come prepared: you'll want a laptop!  If you're on Windows, you
> might want to install putty before coming in, so you can get a shared
> shell host we'll use for people who don't have access to the software
> we're using on their OS.
>
> For those of you on Linux and OS X, please try installing libsvm on
> your machine:
>
>   http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libsvm/
>
> (We might also use mySVM,
> http://www-ai.cs.uni-dortmund.de/SOFTWARE/MYSVM/index.html but I'm not
> entirely sure...)

Ahem.

$ make
test ! -d bin/ && mkdir bin/ ; true
test ! -d bin/`uname -s` && mkdir bin/`uname -s` ; true
g++ -Wall -O4 -c smo.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/c++/4.2/backward/iostream.h:31,
                 from globals.h:23,
                 from smo.h:1,
                 from smo.cpp:1:
/usr/include/c++/4.2/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the <X> header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or <iostream> instead of the deprecated header <iostream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
g++ -Wall -O4 -c svm_nu.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/c++/4.2/backward/iostream.h:31,
                 from parameters.h:5,
                 from svm_c.h:6,
                 from svm_nu.h:4,
                 from svm_nu.cpp:1:
/usr/include/c++/4.2/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the <X> header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or <iostream> instead of the deprecated header <iostream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
In file included from svm_nu.h:4,
                 from svm_nu.cpp:1:
svm_c.h:107: error: extra qualification ‘svm_c::’ on member ‘avg_norm2’
make: *** [svm_nu.o] Error 1

So does

$ diff svm_c.h~ svm_c.h
107c107
<   SVMFLOAT svm_c::avg_norm2(); // avg_examples(K(x,x))
---
>   SVMFLOAT /*svm_c::*/avg_norm2(); // avg_examples(K(x,x))

actually fix it?

> I'll have everything set up on an EC2 instance for the evening, for
> anyone who doesn't manage to get things set up ahead of time.
>
> Hope to see you all there!

Hope to be able to see some documentation I can study remotely ...

Greetings from San Diego,
Christoph