[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge trip to China

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 4 05:44:40 UTC 2009

My contract manufacturer for TV-B-Gone and TripGlasses and Trippy RGB Waves kits (and a few other things) has a plant in Shanghai and a plant in Ji Ning (about half way between Shanghai and Beijing) (both are SEZs -- Special Economic Zones).

Mike Zhao, an American who lives in San Rafael, but born in Shanghai, is the head of the contract manufacturer, called Etonnet.  He's also a total geek, and goes to Maker Faire, and has been to Noisebridge.  He's going to Shanghai and Ji Ning in mid-September, and asked me if I'd like to go, and asked if other NB people (and/or others) would like to go check out the manufacturing scene and China.

To give a little taste of what it might be like:

A few months ago, Bunny, who manufactures Chumby in China, organized a trip to China to show interested people the manufacturing scene (and China).  Evil Mad Scientist went along:

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/shenzhen

Would people be interested in going on such a trip in mid-September?  The cost would be very reasonable, as these things go, and the bulk of the cost would be the plane tickets to and from China.  At the moment, a round trip ticket costs about $850.

Any interest?

Mitch.