[Noisebridge-discuss] Interwebs for new space

Matt Peterson matt at peterson.org
Sat Aug 8 03:41:16 UTC 2009

It looks like I'm heading up the Internet sub-group for the new space;
totally welcome help in this regards.  However, short of getting a
basic net connection up, I'd prefer to wait for dragging cable, fancy
routing, multiple access points and whatnot to wait until the
flooring, electrical and walls are situated by other sub-groups (note
I said situated, as in planned or in process, not completed).

I placed an order for a Sonic.net ADSL2 connection today (it would be
great to get the billing details under a noisebridge debt card, do we
have one?).  This should hopefully yield similar download speeds as
Comcast but without the bit twiddling they're know for (this week
being DNS redirection).  Generally installation is a two step process,
first an ATT tech comes out, tags a pair of copper.  Then a Sonic.net
employee comes out, checks to make sure the pairs support syncs with
their DSLAM, configures the modem, runs speed tests to confirm the
linked speed, hands over some static IP's, etc.  My understanding is
we'll need keys from the landlord to get into the basement phone
closet.  It also wouldn't shock me in the wiring between the basement
and our floor is cranky too.

For now, someone with keys to the new space (plus phone box lock)
being around while the techs are scheduled would be great.  I'll be
out of town most of the month building a network in the desert.  Also
gathering up supplies like cat5 (outdoor variety welcomed), patch
panels, keystone jacks, etc is good too.  We also have some efforts to
connect up to a fiber network, stay tuned.

--Matt