[Noisebridge-discuss] Date/location for fundraiser

Dougie daworley at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 00:37:18 UTC 2009

The genesis of many of the current legal battles the DNA Lounge is
facing stem from them converting their licence to one that allows 18+
to enter.

I recently threw a fundraiser at DNA, so I could offer some advice on
the feasibility of that venue for our needs.

If we choose to run an "all ages" show there, it will cost more than
were it 21+. A club with a set of liquor/restaurant/cabaret/etc
licenses like DNA will have a substantial overhead just to open the
doors. Payroll for staff, insurance, security, cleaning etc al cost
the club at minimum $1000 if not more. Security will have to be
increased for an all ages show.  If we wanted to do this at DNA, and
assuming average ticket prices we would have to ensure a couple
hundred of people through the doors ::just to break even::

The club would take the bar, we would take the door less a cut for the
house. We would have to also cover costs for promotion, deco if
necesarry, discounted drink tickets for performers, and possibly even
compensation for performers. Were we to sell schwag we would probably
be able to get that fee waived as this is a fundraiser.

Don't get me wrong, I love the DNA. It has been like a second home to
me for years. They just have specific requirements for them to stay in
business.

All this being said, I would recommend we look elsewhere for a venue
unless we can ensure some big acts that will pack the house and cover
the expenditures and then some enough to be worth it.

Cheers,
   - Douglas Worley