[Noisebridge-discuss] Date/location for fundraiser

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Sat Aug 8 00:33:55 UTC 2009

Christie Dudley wrote, On 2009/08/07 16:46:
> Many people now have suggested we just hold a fund raiser in our own
> space.  Please reread my earlier email on why this is a Bad Idea.
> There is a significant probability that people could get arrested and
> equipment could get confiscated.  Not to mention the horrible
> community relations that occur when such things happen.  Besides, I
> don't think I'd want support an event where we even suggest people
> give us money just to come into our space.

I just got off the phone with city services. The lady was unsure about
if we needed permits or not since we're a non-profit and will hold the
event within our own space, but she did relay the information you'd
generally hear for throwing any party anywhere in the city.

A general permit to throw a 1 time event in the city is $272. If we were
to have amplified music that can be heard down in the street (which we
wont need if we get some good live bands) we need a permit for that
which is around $440 with an additional one time fee of $137. She was
unsure if the amplified music permit canceled out the need to get the
general event permit.

Once again she was unsure if we needed any of this for throwing a small
fundraising even within our own space at a nonprofit. The Entertainment
Commission is the group that issues the permits. I'll be contacting them
on Monday to get better details on if we actually need permitting to run
an event within our own space.

All in all, if we can't have an event such as this, then one could
consider other events such as 5 Minutes of Fame to be an issue too.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net