[Noisebridge-discuss] Touchable Holography

Harry Tormey slander at unworkable.org
Sun Aug 9 03:36:25 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 08:26:36PM -0700, Sai Emrys wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM, Harry Tormey<slander at unworkable.org> wrote:
> > http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoafJF9a.html
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but this vid seems just about the P3's
> software; I don't see discussion of haptic feedback.
>
> > http://www.immersion.com/products/touchscreen-feedback/index.html
>
> Very interesting. Can this do something beyond vibration? (That's the
> only effect I saw specifically mentioned.)

Here is a better review:

http://www.pocketables.net/2009/03/review-samsung-p3-ypp3.html

"Providing further confirmation of a recognized action (not that it's
needed) is the inclusion of haptic feedback. The P3 isn't the first
digital media player to use the technology, which enables the screen to
vibrate when touched; however, your fingertip isn't "buzzed" when it
touches the screen the way it is on other devices. Instead, the
vibration is felt in the palm of your other hand (the one holding the
player). It's difficult to explain, but if you put the P3 on a table
and tap the screen, you don't really feel the vibration."

So in other words, not what you asked for.

> E.g. simulating a set of raised buttons and how they would respond to
> being touched / pressed...

That would be cool. Crackberry storm attempted something like this (the
clicking button part anyway):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_Storm

"It features a touchscreen which reacts physically like a button via
SurePress, a Research In Motion patented technology of providing
haptic feedback. "

"Touchscreen: The Storm uses a "SurePress" glass capacitive
touchscreen which provides haptic feedback. This screen allows the
user to navigate through the phone using their fingertip, similar to a
computer's mouse, and "click" the screen by pushing down to select"

Some reviewers didn't like it:

"..while also deeming the SurePress touchscreen difficult to learn and a
hindrance to fast typing"

--
Harry Tormey
Co Founder P2P Research