[Noisebridge-discuss] Makerbot: Making

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Aug 9 14:23:39 UTC 2009

Excerpts from Sai Emrys's message of Sun Aug 09 07:12:14 -0700 2009:
> That's awesome.
>
> Are the tolerances good enough that it could be made functional? (i.e.
> hollow spout and body, recession that fits lid)

Eh.. not as function as you describe.

I'm still not sure how to best get it laid down to start. It's almost as
if the plastic doesn't stay hot enough or something.
As it comes out, I'm having a hard time to get it to start sticking to
the stage or to the layer underneath it, and it will roll up under the
head and make a mess.

> I'm impressed that it's able to do bits where there isn't underlying
> material (like the handle). How do you do that? The only way I can
> think of offhand is by using something underneath that's then taken
> out - either in some alternate material that is easy to remove, or a
> little snappable post like you see holding the pieces in model kits to
> their container.

There is some filling mesh-like material. See here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thejof/3804170316/