[Noisebridge-discuss] [Fwd: FW: BBC Digital Planet]

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Thu Aug 13 19:12:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Leif Ryge<leif at synthesize.us> wrote:
> Unfortunately the first thing you'll hear on this podcast is an
> invitation to go to their website and read their terms of use
> (reproduced below), which claim that you can only download it for seven
> (7) days from the date of posting.

Is such a claim or contract even binding?

Given that it can be downloaded by anyone, regardless of whether they
have first indicated their consent to BBC's proffered terms of service
contract, I find myself very skeptical that it is any more legit than
the bullshit mandates at the bottom of suits' emails. (See
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/ if you don't know what I
mean. I note that the above-quoted Gareth Mitchell has such a sig.)

In general, no contract can be forced on someone; they're voluntary
two-party things. And if you can do something for free without
breaking a law and without signing the contract, then I don't see how
anyone can give you anything but a polite request about how to do it.

Re. the 7 days thing - this is true, they remove it from their servers
after that. I'm subscribed to several BBC podcasts (with nary a
consented contract), and old ones become inaccessible. Lame.

- Sai