[Noisebridge-discuss] membership dues via employer matching funds?

dpc weasel at meer.net
Fri Aug 21 01:35:30 UTC 2009

Sai Emrys <noisebridge at saizai.com> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM, dpc<weasel at meer.net> wrote:
>>> Another interesting thing... often employers will match, or completely pay
>>> for dues in professional organizations.
>>
>> w/o the emplyer match (if you're itemizing) these dues are tax deductable.
>
> They are not tax deductible as a donation, employer match or no,
> because they aren't one.
>
> Maybe they qualify as a business expense or somesuch, but I don't know
> that side of things.

back in the day when i actually talked to an accounting person (because
i hadn't known anything about estimated payments or billing not as
yourself or anything really), you could (sort of) claim stuff like this
as a 'continuating education' expense.

nb's status might be a little odd for this, but given the # of classes
etc it isn't too far fetched. you do need to be able to back this up (w/
receipts or something) in the case of an audit. plus it only matters if
you're itemizing.

\p
---
Rise above principal and do what's right. - Joseph Heller