[Noisebridge-discuss] membership dues via employer matching funds?

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Fri Aug 21 03:13:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Andreas von
Hessling<vonhessling at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess the real question is whether we are legally allowed to
> implement such a "big-donation-waives-dues" program.

Not really, as stated. Donations are donations; the reason they are
tax-deductible is because the donater is not getting something of
value in return (like membership). To the extent that they are, it's
considered a purchase, not a donation.

However we ARE legally allowed (if the bylaws permit it, i.e. if we
pass a resolution to amend them) to:
* offer year-at-once memberships
* offer multi-year-at-once memberships (though this can create
significant complications for accounting)
* offer lifetime memberships (though this has caveats that would be an
issue in an organization where member expulsion is possible)
* offer different classes of membership (e.g. a "partner" or "sponsor"
membership, furthering the current "starving hacker" and "standard"
classes), or entirely separate classes of status that are for sale
(e.g. just plain "sponsor" which is distinct from "member" and does
not give any membership rights)

FWIW, my nonprofit charges annual dues and does not currently permit
any other increment of payment, including payment in advance - it's
just too much of a pain in the ass for us. But if this were what were
requested for a $10k donation, we'd probably agree.

- Sai