[Noisebridge-discuss] membership dues via employer matching funds?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Fri Aug 21 01:50:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 06:18:48PM -0700, Andreas von Hessling wrote:
> If a person makes a $10.000 donation, would you consider waiving his
> membership dues for a year?  $2000 donation?  $1000?

Nope.  If you make a donation, that's a donation.  It's separate from
membership dues.  It's important we maintain this distinction -- a
donation which has a quid pro quo attached ceases to be a "donation" for
the purposes of the IRS.  There are complicated ways of working around
this but we elected to be simple.

> Who is qualified to answer this question?

If you have questions about your tax situation, you should contact a
qualified tax advisor.

Our lawyer, Carol, has experience with nonprofit tax law, but it costs
us money to ask her questions, so I think we should stick with our
curren simple system (until we decide to do differently, of course).
Carol was OK with our membership system when we described it to her last
year, and it was in our IRS filing, so apparently we're OK as it
currently stands.

-andy