[Noisebridge-discuss] Cat ladder / elevator

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sun Aug 23 17:13:04 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 2:06 AM, David Yao<kudegra+nb at gmail.com> wrote:
> A picture of your situation would help.

Can do.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26792823@N07/sets/72157622120322694

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Don French<dcfrench at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am assuming that by a solid ramp you mean something other a simple board
> running from the window to the fence, right?  Because how could that be
> harder to build than any of the other options you mentioned?
[...]
> Wouldn't a spiral ramp be a lot more difficult to make than a board between
> the window and the ground?

Sewing I can do in my living room with not much materials. Hard stuff
requires a lot of transportation (I only have a Ninja, albeit one with
a huge cargo box) and shop space / tools (I could use 83c's, granted,
but still).

> I would abandon the idea of a tube because I don't think you will get a cat
> to enter it.  Rats, maybe.  Cats, not so likely.

Honestly I think mine would. He seems to very much like small enclosed
spaces. E.g. he gets himself into cupboards all the time. For a while,
he was getting himself into a partially-depleted tray of water bottles
- between the cardboard and the plastic wrap - and seemed to rather
like it there. (See pic.)

>  Which brings me to the point of how to make the door so that kitty can enter but rats and squirrels
> can not. I would suggest using RFID like
> http://www.petdoors.com/electronic_pet_doors.htm?gclid=CObsjcSXupwCFRYiagodk1b0oA
> except that you would probably want to build it yourself for maximum geek
> cred.

Nah, I don't really care how it happens. I'm just lazy and cheap; if I
can buy my way out of it reasonably I have no objection. :-P

- Sai