[Noisebridge-discuss] Cat ladder / elevator

Liz Henry liz at bookmaniac.net
Sun Aug 23 18:24:06 UTC 2009

You could make a spiral staircase around a central wooden pole or post,
with some boards and metal angle brackets or corner braces.

Then if you want to enclose it, get some awning canvas, and kind of roll
the staircase up in it, staple gunning or carpet tacking the canvas onto
the ends of the boards that stick out of the spiral.   You wouldn't have
to sew anything or do anything more complicated than drilling some holes
for the screws for the angle brackets.  But, I think the tube might be
counterproductive. Say your cat gets a claw stuck in the canvas halfway
down; it's not going to be pretty.

Instead I might bolt a couple of sections of dowels onto the end of each
step,  as a sort of open railing.

Carpet scraps cut up and nailed to the boards of the staircase would
help your cat get a grip, too.

Here is a drawing,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizhenry/3848691009/

The cat tree I built is more solid than this (mostly so that little kids
can climb on it too.)

You could probably kludge something together with metal shelf bracket
runners -- the rails with holes in them that you put in the back of
closets & hook brackets onto.  Same idea, but it would weigh less.  I'm
picturing using an inch thick wooden dowel for this, bolting the up and
down bits of rails onto it, as many as fit around the perimeter, then
putting in the metal bracket shelf supports and very short steps
spiralling around.

- Liz