[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] 2169 shrine

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Thu Aug 27 19:37:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:33:23AM -0700, Rachel McConnell wrote:
> Lamont Lucas wrote:
> > As a side note, looking at the Painting wiki page, I'd like it if we
> > didn't get rid of the shrine, just cause I think those things are cool
> > and appropriate.  If we decide it has to leave the little nook, I'll
> > happily take it home so he can angrily watch over my living room.
>
> What do people think?  I'd just as soon not have this item around and am
> happy for Lamont to take it.

I am somewhat in favor of keeping the shrine -- it looks cool and pays
homage to the historical use of our space -- but I would like to learn
more about the philosophy and cultural implications of this piece of
cultural appropriation.  While a crucifix might make a good coat tree
and a menorah could be a jaunty hat rack, I'd be disappointed by a
decision to use them as such; similarly, if it'd be disrespectful for
nonbelievers to repurpose the shrine, I'd prefer to respectfully remove
it than to offend visitors.

Do we have anybody around who can talk about the history, meaning, and
appropriate use of this kind of shrine?

-andy (today's ironic hipster t-shirt: "long live chairman mao, (C) 2002")