[Noisebridge-discuss] [Build] 2169 shrine

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 23:53:50 UTC 2009

I have a suggestion for method to retain some of these inherited objects
without having them impose their aesthetic influence on the choices that are
made when setting up the space:

Take everything out of the space.  Put it in a closed container.  Forget
about it for at least 2 weeks.

Build the space out according to the aesthetic of Noisebridge.

Another [arbitrary amount of time later], open the container.  Look at the
stuff and then make deliberate choices about which things actually fit
within the Noisebridge space and which things to ignore.

--Naomi

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:33:23AM -0700, Rachel McConnell wrote:
> > Lamont Lucas wrote:
> > > As a side note, looking at the Painting wiki page, I'd like it if we
> > > didn't get rid of the shrine, just cause I think those things are cool
> > > and appropriate.  If we decide it has to leave the little nook, I'll
> > > happily take it home so he can angrily watch over my living room.
> >
> > What do people think?  I'd just as soon not have this item around and am
> > happy for Lamont to take it.
>
> I am somewhat in favor of keeping the shrine -- it looks cool and pays
> homage to the historical use of our space -- but I would like to learn
> more about the philosophy and cultural implications of this piece of
> cultural appropriation.  While a crucifix might make a good coat tree
> and a menorah could be a jaunty hat rack, I'd be disappointed by a
> decision to use them as such; similarly, if it'd be disrespectful for
> nonbelievers to repurpose the shrine, I'd prefer to respectfully remove
> it than to offend visitors.
>
> Do we have anybody around who can talk about the history, meaning, and
> appropriate use of this kind of shrine?
>
> -andy (today's ironic hipster t-shirt: "long live chairman mao, (C) 2002")

---
Naomi Most
Producer
Little Moving Pictures